Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Birthday at Lips Drag Club for Gospel Brunch


Lips - Drag Show
Originally uploaded by greenbeangirl74
Our very own diva Janine wanted to do something different for her birthday. So she decided what could be better than a drag show at Lips in San Diego for gospel brunch hosted by Sister Nun-of-the-Above.

It was a four hours of jaw-droppping, cleavage-showing, gender-bending interestingness. LOL. I had no idea what to expect. I have never been to a drag show before, but was game for anything.

The show is irreverent, sarcastic and occassionally amazing. Some of the drag queens are incredible performers. Just as some are incredibly beautiful. I was amazed. Make-up is flawless, everything is hidden and since they often shove your face in their cleavage or even rattle your head between their legs you get a close-up view. It's also very interactive as you are all invited to "beam a queen" with dollar bills when you love the performance.

We were a group of 12, including a couple of men. I felt bad for them they were hit on constantly but were good sports about it. The food was expensive, pretty bad and took forever to arrive, but you're not there for the food or the watered-down over-priced drinks.

Overall, I have to say, it was really long. I think I would have liked the show a lot better if it were only a couple of hours versus the entire afternoon or if I would have gotten drunk. Go for bitchy bingo, diva night (80s). But I didn't much get into the gospel brunch.

I don't really feel the need to go again.

No comments: